My friends on Facebook are clued into my psyche, they know what makes me tick. The other day I was alerted to the publication of Sabat Magazine 2 : The Mother Issue and promptly took myself to investigate. Like its predecessor, Issue 2 is a heavy tome, dense with striking imagery and exquisite texts.
It’s the sort of magazine which you want to read without creasing the pages. The sort of magazine that you’ll put carefully back on a shelf instead of shoving it on top of the microwave. The sort of magazine that you’ll hang onto forever.
This second issue of Sabat tries to cast light on what might be one of the most mysterious of female archetypes. Persistent in her duality, mother is vastness, Nature, a love unyielding and beyond, sacrifice and almighty power, creation and destruction embodied. She performs the ultimate act of human magic, creating new life.
- Rites for the bees, the queen and the hive we all share.
- An Other Mother — from Lilith to the Venus of Willendorf.
- The ambiguous Hidden Mother in found Victorian imagery.
- The man, the myth — our never ending fascination with the spawn of Satan.
- Household magic and maternal heritage with The Hoodwitch founder Bri Luna.
- The aesthetic of the altar from the #witchesofinstagram.
Keep reading for a preview of the issue, as well as a short film made by Lolo Bates and Zoe Marie.